Monday, November 26, 2012

Flora & Rob!


I receive so much email in a day, some of it I automatically assume is spam and in fact I am sure I've probably put something I shouldn't have in my electronic trash bin at some point in time.

Also there are other photographers posing as clients fishing for pricing information, scam artists who want me to send them money to belong to certain photography associations across seas and so on and so forth.

I quickly browsed through Flora's email and realized this was no spam/scam.

"You may think that it seems as if we are a little behind the game in terms of booking our vendors, and this may lead you to believe that I am unorganized or naive, but I assure you this is not the case.  My fiance and I have had a whirlwind couple of months with a "friend of a friend" photographer that was pushed upon us to save us some money, and help out an attempt at growth of their side-business. Let's just say my fiance was right when he said one should never mix business with pleasure.  The last few months have been a few of the most stressful of my life, and I realize now that the wedding planning process shouldn't be like this. 

I am off this week, having just undergone a major surgery to remove a tumor from my abdomen.  The night before my surgery,  I was fired as a client by my photographer for inquiring with regards to our engagement photos and contract which had been 6 weeks overdue.  Now I have a week, in bed, to pick up the pieces and put back together my perfect wedding. We had planned for Christmas Card save-the-dates, and now we have no engagement photos to use.  My finace is coming off 4 months of strike, and our Christmas gifts to our families (entirely made up of photo printing and framing groupon purchases), leaves us at a bit of a loss.  To be honest I'm not sure why I am telling you all of this... I suppose I'm at my wit's end.

One of my bridesmaids (a medical student, staying with me for a few weeks) sat me down after hearing my escapade, and told me I HAD to see your website.  She said that perhaps, this has all happened for a reason. I was blown away by your photographs, and began to feel that maybe she was right. 

A week ago I would have said your fees were way out of my league, but having gone through this ordeal, I think that money is not the object.  After all, we only get married once in our life, so I believe it's not unreasonable to want everything to be exactly as you envision it... something my previous photographer will never understand.  And I refuse to be stressed any longer by decisions and processes that should be the most exhilarating time of my life. 

I imagine there is no way you aren't booked for next September, but I just HAD to ask."


My heart sunk for this poor girl. I quickly checked my calendar, only to discover we were indeed booked. Their gorgeous Muskoka wedding will be unbelievably beautiful. They are transporting their guests on a huge steam boat to and from the venue. The details will be thoughtful. The venue is charming. And I am so thankful they were able to find another photographer to suit their fancy.

Even though we were not available for their wedding day, I felt a connection to this girl. I felt like I had to meet her and at least let her know that I understand. And then I heard from her again. This time she was requesting engagement photos. I happily obliged and the four of us had a wonderful time.

Afterwards, we offered to take them for a couple of drinks. We all shared a plate of antipasto and wine and traded wedding planning horror stories. After the bill arrived, we each scrambled to pick up the tab. Usually we are swift and coy....taking a break for the "washroom" and paying the bill. They would not have it and won the "I've got it" battle.

At the end of the night, we hugged and Flora exclaimed to me...this is what the wedding planning process should feel like. This is so much more than photos to us.

We wish them nothing but love and enjoyment on their wedding planning journey and I feel honoured to have been in the presence of such humble and wonderful people.

This meeting affirmed to me the importance of the wedding photography component. It's about the photos, of course, but it's also so much about the experience. We strive to ensure all our couples feel special not only on their wedding day but throughout the process because I guarantee there is no other vendor out there who cares as much as the photographers. Florists, decorators, they all come and go but they aren't as invested in the entire day and experience as photographers.

We care. And I am proud of it.

I hope you enjoy these sneak peeks! xoxo



































No comments:

Post a Comment